Lactation Consultation - Office
1. A 90 minute lactation consultation at your earliest convenience at Donna's office. . Most appointments happen the same or next day.
2. 1 week of unlimited breastfeeding support via phone, video and text.
How do you know if you need a Lactation Consultation?
In my experience, if you fit one or more of these situations, you would be helped by a lactation consultation.
- You are having difficulty breastfeeding right now.
- You can't produce the amount of milk you need.
- You are in pain from breastfeeding
- You are constantly wondering if something, you or your baby does, is normal.
It's OK if you think your problems are not big enough, or you don't think you need help. Many moms feel just this way and benefit from the unlimited reassurance and guidance.
It's OK if YOU think it's a hopeless cause and that your situation is beyond help. I have seen hundreds of so-called hopeless cases turn completely around, and have happy endings because the mother received accurate, timely, personalized emotional support, breastfeeding information and parenting guidance.
To succeed at breastfeeding, here's what you need:
- Determination and the desire to breastfeed;
- Support and guidance from an expert, or community
- Patience to keep trying when things don't go as you expected;
- Tissues -- Long challenges can be very emotional!
If you need more information about your particular situation you can text or call me at (845) 750-4402.
- An initial 90 minute lactation consultation
- Unlimited support via phone/text/video for 1 week
- Membership in Breastfeeding Café Facebook group
- A written care plan every step of the way
Any followup appointments vary depending on your particular needs.
During the initial lactation consultation, you can expect most of these:
- Get all the details about the difficulties you are experiencing
- Take a health and breastfeeding history
- Answer your questions
- Observe you and your baby breastfeeding
- Screen for nipple, breast, mouth or tongue problems
- Teach about feeding cues and how milk production works
- Coach you and your baby through latch, positioning and other comfort measures
- Teach pumping, hand expression techniques and milk storage guidelines
- Refer you to someone who can better help you with your problem, if need be
- Create a breastfeeding plan that will accommodate your lifestyle, your goals and your baby
Here are my Policies:
1. I will do my best to get breastfeeding right for you and your baby.
2. I will bring respect, love and caring into every interaction.
3. We will laugh and we will cry, of course, and sometimes together.
4. PJ's are expected, showers are optional, hairdo?...not likely...(I will be showered, professionally dressed and hair tied back.)
5. When you feed the baby, I will look at your breast to see how your baby latches on.
6. "The Shovel-It-In Policy" You and I don't like being force fed and neither does your baby. I don't do it.
7. There is no one lonelier than a new mom. I will get you connected with other breastfeeding moms.
8. I want breastfeeding to work for You and Your Baby, not for some "Gold Star" Type A++, Idealistic, Vision, that Someone...Somewhere... had Sometime...
Here are my standards:
We make sure your baby is fed. My first choice of food is your breast milk, either at your breast, expressed or from your stored supplies. My next choice would be donor milk from a milk bank or other donor. If that isn't possible, we will use formula.
I fully expect for you to be nursing pain free or almost pain free in 1 visit.*
You, your baby, your breastfeeding goals, opinions, culture, lifestyle, and family will be respected when we work together.
I have an evidence-based practice. What we do has been studied and shown to work and you won't get stuck with some folklore, bizarro habit.
You are the expert in your baby, (even if you don't feel like it, yet.) You set the pace and decide if you like something, or don't.
Keep the baby calm. It is essential to be gentle with the baby and ease into breastfeeding rather than making lots of changes and upsetting your baby.
I follow current American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines and tracks weight, stools and wet diapers, so you are confident your baby is getting enough milk.
Your situation, problem, solution, and story are private, except where I, like other health care providers, have legal responsibilities mandated by law.
When you purchase the package you will receive a text or call to make an appointment, from (845) 750-4402.
I see clients same and next day, in most cases.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh